DISERTASI dan TESIS Program Pascasarjana UM, 2016

Ukuran Huruf:  Kecil  Sedang  Besar

EFL TEACHERS' KNOWLEDGE, BELIEFS, AND THE IMPLEMENTATION OF SCIENTIFIC APPROACH

ST AYU SURAYYA

Abstrak


ABSTRAK

 

 

This study aimed at investigating the EFL teachers’ knowledge, beliefs and the implementation of the Scientific Approach. This study was mix-method design with survey (quantitative) and classroom management (qualitative).For investigating the problems through small-scale survey, the subjects of this study were the 14 EFL teachers in 4 state senior high schools in Selong district, East Lombok and 3 teachers from 2 senior high schools were investigated through interview and observation The finding shows that there were three categories of Indonesian EFL teachers’ knowledge; teacher with (21.4%) good knowledge, (50%) knowledge and (28.6%) poor knowledge. Regarding the beliefs, none of the teachers have low beliefs on the Scientific Approach. Moreover, 71.4% EFL teachers was indicated as teachers with high beliefs and the rest (28.6%) with fair beliefs on the Scientific Approach. Beside that, the teachers of all categories have similar patterns in applying the stages of the Scientific Approach. Only a single from three teachers was systematically deployed the stages and integrates the basic concept, principle and teaching strategies of the Scientific Approach. In conlusion, the teachers have already believed  the Scientific Approach, although their knowledge was on the surface level and they cannot completely and creatively bring the teaching strategies which reflecting the Scientific Approach. Thus, the EfL teachers need to add their knowledge on the Scientific Approach through various media and follow a qualified training.